Salary: £80,000 - £85,000
We’re looking for our next leader, or leader in the making, to head up our Employment Team here at Simpson Millar. Clearly, you’ll have a strong background in employment law, but importantly you’ll be a leader with energy and enthusiasm who wants to drive this department forward. You might be a partner or regional manager who’s sitting under a glass ceiling at the moment, but knows they can achieve so much more – but is unlikely to get that opportunity in your present firm, or indeed you might be in a similar role but just not getting what you need right now.
This is a commercially focussed role, leading a team of solicitors and paralegals to maximise their performance, so we’ll need to see that you have a track record of operating in a commercial environment. You’ll understand what is required to develop and grow a successful team, by driving the strategic direction of the department and delivering key strategic business objectives.
Our Employment Team focus on a wide range of consumer-based cases such as Protective Awards, as well as acting for several large Trade Unions on a variety of matters.
Your role will include:
- Proactively manage a team of solicitors and paralegals to achieve the financial targets of the department
- Perform regular case reviews and fee earner reviews are undertaken to ensure compliance with Lexcel and company standards
- Maintain an active presence in the Employment market space to develop an organic network of cases by developing referrals from third parties into the business.
- Liaise with of the leaders of other teams within the firm regarding crossover work in order to assist with allocation and to ensure staff who work across teams have sufficient flow of suitable work
- Assisting the Practice Area Head in setting the operational and strategic direction of the Department
- Working with marketing department to develop a national and regional business strategy in the Employment Law sector.
In addition, you will be responsible for a small caseload as well as development of working practices, policies and procedures to improve file velocity whilst maintaining client service.
So, who are we looking for in this role?
You’ll have a minimum of 7 years’ PQE of running an Employment caseload, be experienced in leading and managing a team of fee earners and support staff, have strong business development skills and a commercial mind-set, and most importantly work with a friendly and co-operative approach towards clients and colleagues.
And in return?
We’ll offer you a basic salary of in the region of £80-85,000 plus bonus. You’ll get the opportunity to build a department and contribute directly into the development of a Leading Legal 500 practice, which is growing rapidly and has continued to grow despite the economic and social pressures of the last 6 months. You’ll have a direct line into the major decision makers within the firm and the opportunity to have your voice heard, and become a true leader in what is undoubtedly an exciting time at Simpson Millar.
So if this is something that you feel would be of interest to you and you’d like to discuss further, then please contact Peter Murphy (Recruitment Business Partner) on 07889 408 276, or if you’re clear it’s for you, then apply by following the link below.