Salary: Not specified
Chess are currently recruiting of an experience Legal Assistant and/or Paralegal to join its Legal Department based in Alderley Edge, Cheshire. Reporting to the Dept Recovery Team Leader, you will be taking responsibility for a caseload of Small and Fast Track Claims which are at various stages of the litigation and enforcement process.
The Legal Department assists the business in respect of its legal needs which are varied and extensive.The team is central to the business and advise at every level from the Board to members of Chess' customer facing teams.
The Legal Department is the back stop of the business in terms of recovering monies, but they can be involved at all stages to avoid disputes arising and to facilitate early dispute resolution. It also provides assistance on commercial and acquisition matters.
In Top 100 Best Companies to Work For, for 10 years
Chess are one of the UK's leading Voice, Connect, Cloud, Cybersecurity and Digital solution providers,helping over 23,000 businesses grow through innovative technology and expert advice.
Not only do we pride ourselves on our award-winning service, we are also extremely proud to have been placed in 'The Sunday Times 100 Best Companies to Work For' for 10 consecutive years.
"a GREAT place to work, a GREAT place to be a customer"
Duties to include but not restricted to:
- Proactively managing a caseload of debt recovery matters
- Negotiate settlements through the use of ADR, including but not limited, using the Small Claims Mediation Service
- Attending Final Hearings as a witness or as a legal representative on behalf of Chess
- Liaising with Courts / Barristers / Chess panel Solicitors
- Liaising with and instructing High Court Enforcement Officers and Bailiffs to enforce judgments as well as applying for Third Party Debt Orders where appropriate
- Resolving CISAS complaints and where necessary defend claims brought against Chess
- Completing weekly and monthly reports regarding your caseload
- Assisting with legal precedent management and improving internal processes and procedures
- Working with other areas of the business to ensure non-recurrence of issues that lead to Legal Team involvement
- Managing and updating the legal ledger and other financial reports
Skills & Qualities you will need to demonstrate:
- Experience of debt recovery work
- A good understanding of the CPR
- Basic contract law knowledge
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to communicate effectively with both customers and business stakeholders
- Ability to work under own initiative as well as part of a team
- Time Management skills
- Highly organized
- Attention to detail
- Proficiency in MS Word and Excel
- Knowledge and experience of dealing with OFCOM General Conditions
- In-depth knowledge of contract law and experience of dealing with common contractual issues in contested litigation
- Industry experience
- Proficiency in SAGE 200
Benefits include: Pension, Health Care, Life Assurance, Loyalty Scheme, Salary Sacrifice Scheme, access to Mental Health support and new for 2020 - Perkbox. This gives you access to hundreds of 'Perks' giving you great discounts. Whether it be days out, your weekly food shop, a clothes shopping spree on the high street and many more.
Hours: 37½ hours per week Monday to Friday, normal office hours apply.
Holiday Allowance: 20 days paid holiday p.a. increased upon anniversaries, ultimately to 24 days p.a., plus public holidays
"Play Your Part"
Our growth creates opportunity for everyone to progress their career, to develop knowledge and skill, to gain reward and recognition and to maximise their potential. The growth and success of our people ensures the growth and success of our business. We believe that "if you're not growing, we're not growing".
If you are looking for a career that brings exciting challenges and opportunities, then Chess is the place for you.