Solicitor/Associate – Court of Protection
Office and Department: Southampton or Guildford – Court of Protection
What are we looking for?
This is a great opportunity for a knowledgeable Solicitor with PI/Clinical Negligence Court of Protection experience to join our dynamic and fast-growing team who deal with all aspects of Court of Protection work, including property and affairs and community care.
The focus of this role is to assist senior fee earners with management of property and affairs for clients who have received compensation as a result of personal injury or clinical negligence. There may also be opportunities to assist on community care matters under the supervision of the relevant fee earner.
You will have an opportunity to get involved in marketing and business development of the team and firm, so there is scope for your own personal career growth within the role.
The role can be based in either our Southampton or Guildford office, however, offers a flexible working approach of combining office and home working.
Why should you apply?
Are you an established Solicitor with fantastic CoP experience looking to work for a newly merged firm carving out a new way of working within the Legal sector? The team work on some great quality PI and clinical negligence work, so this is a really great opportunity for someone ambitious to be a part of something progressive. The exciting thing about Court of Protection is what it can become, so whoever is a part of this will be involved in the development and growth of the team meaning there is now no better time to be joining us!
The Moore Barlow culture is open, diverse, and inclusive; it’s an environment of belonging, where people can thrive and be the best version of themselves. We strive to nurture our people and offer enjoyable, fulfilling, and sustainable careers. This includes providing the best training, great pay and rewards, a fantastic set of values, and more control over work life balance.
We’ve also won awards! Named as one of the top 200 law firms in the UK in The Times Best Law Firms 2021 list, we have also been widely recognised in Legal 500 UK 2021, the UKs leading guide to law firms, as 8 of our practise areas have been ranked Top Tier.
- General management of property and affairs matters
- Working closely with the Personal Injury, Clinical Negligence and Major Trauma teams
- Building and maintaining relationships with clients and their families
- Liaising with case managers and other professionals working with clients
- Preparing applications to the Court for deputy appointments
- LPA creation, including registration of the LPAs
- Managing finances, including paying bills and setting up direct debits
- Preparing and managing budgets
- Overseeing adaptation projects
- Statutory will and gift applications
- ACC applications
- Adhering to the OPG professional deputy standards
- Preparation of annual reports for deputies and annual accounts for attorneys
- Reporting to the professional deputies
- Responsibility for billing matters
- Assisting in agreed team business development initiatives, planning and strategy
- Undertaking tasks on community care matters with appropriate supervision
What we look for:
- Experience in working in a Court of Protection Team – 2 - 4 years PQE
- Ability to maintain excellent client relationships
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to be highly productive
- Good telephone call handling skills
- Ability to quickly adjust to new systems and work processes
- IT literate – Excel spreadsheets in particular
- Able to work flexibly to assist others
- Ability to cope with pressure
- Organisational skills
- Attention to detail
- Must be a team player who is also able to work on own initiative
- Must be an effective “ambassador” for the firm