The Regulatory Department is very diverse, offering a broad range of expert advice to local authorities, NHS bodies, police forces and schools, as well as organisations and individuals facing Health & Safety, criminal and other regulatory prosecutions.
The Regulatory Social Care and Governance Team represent Local Authorities dealing with the challenging but rewarding area of Child Care proceedings in the Family Court, involvement with Vulnerable Adults in the Court of Protection and challenges made in respect of Education provision provided by the Local Authority at Tribunal level
As a Paralegal you will provide case handling and administrative support to the case handlers within the team.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Assist the case handlers within the team with their caseloads of social care and education cases
- Potentially manage own small caseload of similar cases
- Respond promptly and accurately to correspondence and telephone enquiries from clients and courts with and without supervision
- Perform case handling and administrative tasks such as opening and closing files, sorting incoming and outgoing mail, dealing with routine documentation etc.
- Assist with the progression of files and updating clients
- Assist with the compiling of marketing and business development literature
- Complete MI procedures as and when required
- Achieve set financial and chargeable targets
- Ensure relevant deadlines, quality measures and KIPS are adhered to
- Comply with relevant policies and procedures
- Work in accordance with Weightmans’ values
This list is not intended to be exhaustive and you will be expected to perform other duties and have other responsibilities that fall within the wider remit of the role.
Ideally you will have previous experience as a Paralegal and a genuine and demonstrable interest in the above area of work. As the role is varied, we are looking for you to have a flexible approach to the work you do and be able to adapt to different tasks. We also require you to have:-
- Previous paralegal experience is preferred
- Excellent organisational and time management skills
- Excellent attention to detail and concentration
- Excellent collaborative and team working skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent IT skills
- Ability to work to deadlines and targets
- Ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative
- Flexible approach
If you meet our criteria and think this is a job where you could bring enthusiasm and an eagerness to learn, then we look forward to receiving your application.
Why work for us
Weightmans is a Top 45 law firm with offices throughout the UK. Having been recognised as the leading legal employer at the annual Britain's Top Employers awards 2021 and achieved record rankings in Chambers UK.
The independent research showed "Weightmans provides exceptional employee conditions, nurtures and develops talent throughout all levels of the organisation."
We are truly committed to fostering a culture of equality and diversity, where everyone in the firm is respected and recognised on merit for the work that they do.
We strongly encourage applications from people of all ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations and disabilities. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustment at any stage of the application process.
Please feel free to note your preferred pronouns in your application.
Work for a firm where people matter – work for Weightmans.
As well as being immensely proud of the work we carry out for our clients and the culture we provide to our people we offer a wide range of benefits including;
- 28 days’ annual leave plus bank holidays (pro-rated for part time)
- Agile / working from home including provision of home office equipment*
- Healthcare cover/ Medicash
- Pension plan
- Life Insurance 4 x salary
- Interest free travel loan scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme including counselling, legal and consumer advice service
- Discounted gym membership
- Discounted dental scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Offers & discounts
- Great reward and recognition scheme
*there are a small number of roles that cannot be performed from home, your Recruitment Advisor can confirm.
- Any reference to experience or PQE in our adverts or job descriptions is to be used as a guideline only. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds and with different levels of experience who can demonstrate that they fulfil the requirements of the role.
- The successful candidate appointed to this role will be subject to our standard background checking process, and any offer of employment made is conditional upon successful completion of those checks. Further details can be obtained from the Recruitment team.
- We are open to part time/job share applicants.