Salary: Competitive + Benefits
Forming part of our Real Estate Department the Construction team is a nationally recognised practice providing a complete range of legal and advisory services on all aspects of Construction law.
We advise on construction risk management from procurement to completion (projects and dispute management across a broad range of sectors). The team acts for private and public sector clients including developers, healthcare providers, education institutions, transport authorities, main contractors, sub-contractors and consultants. We act across a wide range of sectors with clients involved in commercial development, PRS, student accommodation, local government, transport, education, health, utilities, energy and investment. From a non-contentious perspective, the Construction team drafts and negotiates on all the major standard forms of contract, including JCT and NEC4. From a contentious (disputes) perspective the construction team advises and acts on all forms of construction dispute resolution, including adjudication, arbitration, proceedings in the TCC, mediation and expert determination.
We have been involved in a range of projects from mulit-milllion pound developments to high value multi party disputes
We are currently recruiting for a 7-YR PQE Solicitor to join our Construction team.
Whilst Manchester is the preferred location we will consider applications from other locations.
To manage a caseload and assist other case handlers with their caseloads of Construction (a mix of contentious and non-contentious, though mostly contentious), working on behalf of the types of client referred to in the “Department” section above.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Manage a caseload of construction work
- Assist other members of the team with their caseloads of Construction work (contentious and non contentious)
- Draft contracts, agreements, correspondence, pleadings, witness statements, instructions to counsel, attendance notes (without limitation)
- Advise and assist clients with disputes and risk management
- Advise and assist clients with dispute resolution including (among other) adjudication and mediation.
- Carry out other case handling advice and duties
- Work with the members of the existing Construction team to develop client relationships and business opportunities
- Achieve set financial and chargeable targets KPIs
- Ensure relevant deadlines and quality measures are adhered to
- Comply with relevant Weightmans and client policies and procedures
- Work in accordance with Weightmans’ and the client’s values
This list is not intended to be exhaustive and you will have other duties and responsibilities that fall within the remit of the role.
- 7 years PQE is essential/preferred
- Experience of and familiarity with development and regeneration work is an advantage
- Excellent team work skills
- Strong academics and technical knowledge
- Experience of and keen interest in real estate work
- Excellent IT and typing skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent time management and organisation skills
- Ability to multi-task and prioritise
- Ability to work to strict deadlines and targets
- Flexible approach
Why work for us
Weightmans is a Top 45 law firm with offices throughout the UK. Having been recognised as the leading legal employer at the annual Britain's Top Employers awards 2021 and achieved record rankings in Chambers UK.
The independent research showed "Weightmans provides exceptional employee conditions, nurtures and develops talent throughout all levels of the organisation."
We are truly committed to fostering a culture of equality and diversity, where everyone in the firm is respected and recognised on merit for the work that they do.
We strongly encourage applications from people of all ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations and disabilities. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustment at any stage of the application process.
Please feel free to note your preferred pronouns in your application.
Work for a firm where people matter – work for Weightmans.
As well as being immensely proud of the work we carry out for our clients and the culture we provide to our people we offer a wide range of benefits including;
- 28 days’ annual leave plus bank holidays (pro-rated for part time)
- Agile / working from home including provision of home office equipment*
- Healthcare cover/ Medicash
- Pension plan
- Life Insurance 4 x salary
- Interest free travel loan scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme including counselling, legal and consumer advice service
- Discounted gym membership
- Discounted dental scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Offers & discounts
- Great reward and recognition scheme
*there are a small number of roles that cannot be performed from home, your Recruitment Advisor can confirm.
- Any reference to experience or PQE in our adverts or job descriptions is to be used as a guideline only. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds and with different levels of experience who can demonstrate that they fulfil the requirements of the role.
- The successful candidate appointed to this role will be subject to our standard background checking process, and any offer of employment made is conditional upon successful completion of those checks. Further details can be obtained from the Recruitment team.
- We are open to part time/job share applicants.