About your new role
As a Legal Cashier you will support the Legal Accounts /Treasury department in managing client money in accordance with the Solicitor Accounts Rules
Your key duties and responsibilities will include:
- Staffing the Finance helpdesk and dealing with queries (in accordance with SLAs)
- Accurately posting client receipts to matters (promptly)
- Ensuring the client 3-way reconciliation is performed (monthly)
- Ensure all open bank accounts are reconciled and investigate differences
- Active review and return of items held on suspense (<30 days)
- Liaise with credit control team to obtain the allocations for unidentified amounts
- Post inter-ledger transfers
- Process out of date cheques
- Process all client payments out (telegraphic transfers, faster payments, BACs and cheques)
- Active management of the client portal in 3E (including following up on aged items)
- Assist Accounts Payable function with the office portal and supplier payments periodically
- Provide cover within the team, carrying out any other tasks that fall within the aspects of the role or the wider team
- Win the confidence of Partners and members of the Practice
Attention to detail is hugely important in this role, because large amounts of Weightmans money and client money are at stake – and the consequences of error are potentially very significant. So the level of responsibility should not be underestimated.
This list is not intended to be exhaustive and you will be expected to perform other duties and have other responsibilities that fall within the wider remit of the role. You will also ensure that you comply with the relevant Weightmans and client policies and procedures, and consistently work in accordance with our values.
It is essential for you to have:
- Experience of working within a legal accounts environment
- Knowledge of Solicitors Accounts Rules
- Flexible approach with the ability to work different or longer hours when required
- Willing to learn and take on new skills and tasks when required
It is essential that you are able to:
- Deal with and recognise the special requirements of Weightmans’ clients
- Take a proactive approach and actions to resolve billing issues
- Take a proactive approach to relationship building with the ability to manage difficult relationships
- Adopt a flexible approach to working practices
Ideally, we would also like for you to have (but these are not essential for the role):
- Experience of using 3E (Elite - Thomson Reuters) is desirable
- Experience of using Microsoft Excel
If you meet our criteria and think this is a job where you could bring enthusiasm and commitment, then we look forward to receiving your application.
Why work for us
Weightmans is a Top 45 law firm with offices throughout the UK. Having been recognised as the leading legal employer at the annual Britain's Top Employers awards 2021 and achieved record rankings in Chambers UK.
The independent research showed "Weightmans provides exceptional employee conditions, nurtures and develops talent throughout all levels of the organisation."
We are truly committed to fostering a culture of equality and diversity, where everyone in the firm is respected and recognised on merit for the work that they do.
We strongly encourage applications from people of all ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations and disabilities. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustment at any stage of the application process.
Please feel free to note your preferred pronouns in your application.
Work for a firm where people matter – work for Weightmans.
As well as being immensely proud of the work we carry out for our clients and the culture we provide to our people we offer a wide range of benefits including;
- 28 days’ annual leave plus bank holidays (pro-rated for part time)
- Agile / working from home including provision of home office equipment*
- Healthcare cover/ Medicash
- Pension plan
- Life Insurance 4 x salary
- Interest free travel loan scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme including counselling, legal and consumer advice service
- Discounted gym membership
- Discounted dental scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Offers & discounts
- Great reward and recognition scheme
*there are a small number of roles that cannot be performed from home, your Recruitment Advisor can confirm.