About your new role
Our specialist Healthcare team covers all aspects of healthcare and related areas of law and practice, including child law, clinical negligence, clinical governance, consent to treatment, healthcare advisory and mental health. We provide a supportive, proactive service based on a deep understanding of NHS procedures and the social/political background of public healthcare. Our expert team includes doctors and nurses among other health professionals, all with specialist medical knowledge in key areas.
We are currently recruiting across all of our locations for Paralegals. We pride ourselves on having excellent development opportunities for progression alongside a flexible working culture. We are looking for NHS Resolution experienced talent to increase our offering across all aspects of healthcare law – get in touch with us today to find out more.
Main duties and responsibilities
To manage a small case load of pre litigated Clinical Negligence claims on behalf of NHS Resolution and NHS Trusts and to provide assistance to senior case handlers, partners and other members of the team.
- Assist in the running of inquests, clinical negligence claims
- Conduct relevant investigations in order to repudiate and/or conclude a claim
- Work within legal departments of NHS Trusts on secondment as required
- Liaise with various stakeholders internally and externally, including Execs and Senior Managers, the Coroner, claimants and their solicitors, colleagues, the Trust and NHS Resolution
- Complete MI procedures as and when required
- Adhere to Weightmans and client protocols
- Achieve set financial and chargeable targets
- Ensure relevant deadlines, quality measures and KIPS are adhered to
- Comply with relevant policies and procedures
- Work in accordance with client and Weightmans’ values
This list is not intended to be exhaustive and you will be expected to perform other duties and have other responsibilities that fall within the wider remit of the role.
You will have previous experience as a Paralegal and a genuine and demonstrable interest in the above area of work. As the role is varied, we are looking for you to have a flexible approach to the work you do and be able to adapt to different tasks. We also require you to have:-
- Ideally the candidate should have case handling experience preferably in Clinical Negligence claims on behalf of NHS Resolution and NHS Trusts
- Knowledge of CPR procedure with proven technical ability
- Ability to work to strict deadlines and timescales
- Ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative
- Ability to commute to Trusts
- Excellent written and organisation skills
- Excellent time management skills
If you meet our criteria and think this is a job where you could bring enthusiasm and an eagerness to learn, then we look forward to receiving your application.
Why work for us
Weightmans is a Top 45 law firm with offices throughout the UK. Having been recognised as the leading legal employer at the annual Britain's Top Employers awards 2021 and achieved record rankings in Chambers UK.
The independent research showed "Weightmans provides exceptional employee conditions, nurtures and develops talent throughout all levels of the organisation."
We are truly committed to fostering a culture of equality and diversity, where everyone in the firm is respected and recognised on merit for the work that they do.
We strongly encourage applications from people of all ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations and disabilities. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustment at any stage of the application process.
Please feel free to note your preferred pronouns in your application.
Work for a firm where people matter – work for Weightmans.
As well as being immensely proud of the work we carry out for our clients and the culture we provide to our people we offer a wide range of benefits including;
- 28 days’ annual leave plus bank holidays (pro-rated for part time)
- Agile / working from home including provision of home office equipment*
- Healthcare cover/ Medicash
- Pension plan
- Life Insurance 4 x salary
- Interest free travel loan scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme including counselling, legal and consumer advice service
- Discounted gym membership
- Discounted dental scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Offers & discounts
- Great reward and recognition scheme
*there are a small number of roles that cannot be performed from home, your Recruitment Advisor can confirm.
- Any reference to experience or PQE in our adverts or job descriptions is to be used as a guideline only. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds and with different levels of experience who can demonstrate that they fulfil the requirements of the role.
- The successful candidate appointed to this role will be subject to our standard background checking process, and any offer of employment made is conditional upon successful completion of those checks. Further details can be obtained from the Recruitment team.
- We are open to part time/job share applicants.