Salary: Dependant on experience
About your new role
Our Healthcare team is a vibrant specialist department. We provide advice on all aspects of healthcare law, including clinical negligence, patient safety, consent to treatment, human rights, child law and mental health. The ethos of the team is to work hard for our clients so that we secure the right outcome for them. In so doing we improve our technical skills and enhance our ability to meet the clients’ needs as they evolve. The healthcare sector is fast moving and the challenge of working for our clients provides very interesting work. The successful candidate will be highly motivated to develop their own and our teams’ practices. We provide a supportive environment in which to work.
Main duties and responsibilities
Solicitor (or equivalent) to manage defendant clinical negligence claims.
• Specialise in acting on behalf of NHS Litigation Authority and NHS Trusts, protecting their interests
• Manage a case load of litigated and pre-litigated clinical negligence cases
• Conduct relevant investigations in order to repudiate and/or conclude the claim
• Liaise with various parties such as claimants and their solicitors, clients, counsel, experts etc.
• Achieve financial and chargeable targets
• Demonstrate strong advocacy skills, and have the necessary flexibility to offer support in the handling of civil claims.
• Assist the Team Manager and other team members with their cases, client development, client training, networking and potentially public speaking where required
• Control Case Manager diary, key dates and action lists
• Draft various documents to include SLA reports and pleadings
• Perform billing duties
• Satisfy standards of client care in accordance with client SLA and Team manager guidelines and directions
• Complete Client MI procedures
• Comply with relevant rules, policies and procedures
• Keep up to date with legal developments
• Contribute to profile-raising and business development initiatives
This list is not intended to be exhaustive and you will be expected to perform other duties and have other responsibilities that fall within the wider remit of the role.
• Qualified Solicitor 4 + PQE
• Experience of defending high value and complex litigated and pre lit clinical negligence claims, preferably involving experience of working for the NHS and/or private healthcare sector
• Demonstrable experience in the healthcare sector
• Excellent technical ability and knowledge of CPR
• Strong and effective communication skills
• Disciplined time management and organisational skills
• Capacity to rigorously investigate and analyse evidence
• Ability to multi-task and prioritise
• Ability to work to strict deadlines and targets
• Ability to adhere to client protocols
• Ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative
• Flexible approach
• Experience of training, supervising and developing junior team members
If you meet our criteria and think this is a job where you could bring enthusiasm and commitment, then we look forward to receiving your application.
Why work for us
Weightmans is a Top 45 law firm with offices throughout the UK. Having been recognised as the leading legal employer at the annual Britain's Top Employers awards 2021 and achieved record rankings in Chambers UK.
The independent research showed "Weightmans provides exceptional employee conditions, nurtures and develops talent throughout all levels of the organisation."
We are truly committed to fostering a culture of equality and diversity, where everyone in the firm is respected and recognised on merit for the work that they do.
We strongly encourage applications from people of all ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations and disabilities. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustment at any stage of the application process.
Please feel free to note your preferred pronouns in your application.
Work for a firm where people matter – work for Weightmans.
As well as being immensely proud of the work we carry out for our clients and the culture we provide to our people we offer a wide range of benefits including;
- 28 days’ annual leave plus bank holidays (pro-rated for part time)
- Agile / working from home including provision of home office equipment*
- Healthcare cover/ Medicash
- Pension plan
- Life Insurance 4 x salary
- Interest free travel loan scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme including counselling, legal and consumer advice service
- Discounted gym membership
- Discounted dental scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Offers & discounts
- Great reward and recognition scheme
*there are a small number of roles that cannot be performed from home, your Recruitment Advisor can confirm.
- Any reference to experience or PQE in our adverts or job descriptions is to be used as a guideline only. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds and with different levels of experience who can demonstrate that they fulfil the requirements of the role.
- The successful candidate appointed to this role will be subject to our standard background checking process, and any offer of employment made is conditional upon successful completion of those checks. Further details can be obtained from the Recruitment team.
- We are open to part time/job share applicants.