About your new role
Our Healthcare team is a vibrant specialist department. We provide advice on all aspects of healthcare law, including clinical negligence, patient safety, consent to treatment, human rights, child law and mental health.
The ethos of the team is to work hard for our clients so that we secure the right outcome for them. In so doing we improve our technical skills and enhance our ability to meet the clients’ needs as they evolve.
The healthcare sector is fast moving and the challenge of working for our clients provides very interesting work. The successful candidate will be highly motivated to develop their own and our teams’ practices. We provide a supportive environment in which to work.
To assist senior case handlers to manage post-litigated EL/PL/Clinical Negligence claims on behalf of NHS Resolution and NHS Trusts and to case manage fast track EL/PL/Clinical Negligence claims
Main duties and responsibilities
· Primary responsibility is to work with senior fee earners on their cases – tasks include drafting letters of approach/instruction to experts, instructing
counsel, seeking records, preparing chronologies, tracing and interviewing witnesses, collating disclosure and liaising with the CRU
· Role to include handling own caseload of fast track EL/PL and/or Clinical Negligence claims
· Completing client MI procedures/databases
· Achieve set financial and chargeable hours targets
· Ensure relevant deadlines, quality measures and KPIs are adhered to
· Comply with relevant policies and procedures
· Work in accordance with Weightmans’ values
This list is not intended to be exhaustive and you will be expected to perform other duties and have other responsibilities that fall within the wider remit of the role
You will have previous experience as a Paralegal and a genuine and demonstrable interest in the above area of work. As the role is varied, we are looking for you to have a flexible approach to the work you do and be able to adapt to different tasks. We also require you to have:-
· Post issue defendant PI experience is desirable
· Experience of handling fast track EL/PL or Clinical Negligence claims in own name
· Knowledge of CPR procedure with proven technical ability
· Ability to work to strict deadlines and timescales
· Ability to work to client SLA and KPIs
· Ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative
· Excellent written and organisation skills
· Excellent time management skills
Why work for us
Weightmans is a Top 45 law firm with offices throughout the UK. Having been recognised as the leading legal employer at the annual Britain's Top Employers awards 2021 and achieved record rankings in Chambers UK.
The independent research showed "Weightmans provides exceptional employee conditions, nurtures and develops talent throughout all levels of the organisation."
We are truly committed to fostering a culture of equality and diversity, where everyone in the firm is respected and recognised on merit for the work that they do.
We strongly encourage applications from people of all ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations and disabilities. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustment at any stage of the application process.
Please feel free to note your preferred pronouns in your application.
Work for a firm where people matter – work for Weightmans.
As well as being immensely proud of the work we carry out for our clients and the culture we provide to our people we offer a wide range of benefits including;
- 28 days’ annual leave plus bank holidays (pro-rated for part time)
- Agile / working from home including provision of home office equipment*
- Healthcare cover/ Medicash
- Pension plan
- Life Insurance 4 x salary
- Interest free travel loan scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme including counselling, legal and consumer advice service
- Discounted gym membership
- Discounted dental scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Offers & discounts
- Great reward and recognition scheme
*there are a small number of roles that cannot be performed from home, your Recruitment Advisor can confirm.