Salary: Competitive plus Benefits
About your new role
The Regulatory Department is very diverse, offering a broad range of expert advice to organisations and individuals facing Health & Safety, criminal and other regulatory prosecutions. The department also advises healthcare professionals facing possible criminal and professional regulatory sanctions, as well as Trusts and organisations on issues such as best interest decisions to DPA requests and inquests.
We are currently recruiting for a Solicitor or Barrister 2 YRS + PQE to join our Healthcare Inquests and Professional Regulatory team in Birmingham.
The role will primarily focus on Healthcare inquest work and healthcare regulatory work. We are seeking a lawyer to manage a caseload of inquest files for our various healthcare Trusts and organisations, including advocacy in Inquests. The successful candidate will also advise and represent clinicians and healthcare professionals in defending regulatory proceedings brought by professional bodies. With our diverse offering, inevitably there will both the scope and need for our lawyers to be involved in work for clients outside of their core caseload
Main duties and responsibilities
- Manage a case load of healthcare inquest and healthcare regulatory files
- Open and manage your own files
- Advocacy skills are essential to attend hearings at court and tribunals, including travel, and accompany counsel where necessary
- Achieve set financial and chargeable targets
- Ensure relevant deadlines, quality measures and KPIs are adhered to
- Comply with relevant policies and procedures
- Work in accordance with Weightmans’ values
This list is not intended to be exhaustive and you will be expected to perform other duties and have other responsibilities that fall within the wider remit of the role.
- 2-6 yr PQE Qualified Solicitor
- Experience in advising and representing Healthcare providers in Regulatory investigations
- Inquest advocacy experience
- Understanding of regulatory processes and interface between different agencies
- Compassionate and professional approach to work
- Broader Professional Regulatory defence experience is desirable
- Excellent organisational and time management skills
- Excellent collaborative and team working skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent IT skills
- Ability to work to deadlines and targets
- Ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative
- Flexible approach
Why work for us
Weightmans is a Top 45 law firm with offices throughout the UK. Having been recognised as the leading legal employer at the annual Britain's Top Employers awards 2021 and achieved record rankings in Chambers UK.
The independent research showed "Weightmans provides exceptional employee conditions, nurtures and develops talent throughout all levels of the organisation."
We are truly committed to fostering a culture of equality and diversity, where everyone in the firm is respected and recognised on merit for the work that they do.
We strongly encourage applications from people of all ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations and disabilities. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustment at any stage of the application process.
Please feel free to note your preferred pronouns in your application.
Work for a firm where people matter – work for Weightmans.
As well as being immensely proud of the work we carry out for our clients and the culture we provide to our people we offer a wide range of benefits including;
- 28 days’ annual leave plus bank holidays (pro-rated for part time)
- Agile / working from home including provision of home office equipment*
- Healthcare cover/ Medicash
- Pension plan
- Life Insurance 4 x salary
- Interest free travel loan scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme including counselling, legal and consumer advice service
- Discounted gym membership
- Discounted dental scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Offers & discounts
- Great reward and recognition scheme
*there are a small number of roles that cannot be performed from home, your Recruitment Advisor can confirm.
- Any reference to experience or PQE in our adverts or job descriptions is to be used as a guideline only. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds and with different levels of experience who can demonstrate that they fulfil the requirements of the role.
- The successful candidate appointed to this role will be subject to our standard background checking process, and any offer of employment made is conditional upon successful completion of those checks. Further details can be obtained from the Recruitment team.
- We are open to part time/job share applicants.