Salary: £55,000 +
About your new role
Our Public Sector team is one of the largest in the UK, with extensive experience working with local authorities, local authority consortia, police forces, fire authorities and NHS Trusts. Our lawyers have hands-on experience of working in local government and the public sector. Our approach is focused on solving our client's legal problems as quickly, efficiently and cost-effectively as possible. We are brand leaders in defendant litigation services for local and public authorities, with in-depth expertise in all types of claims including motor, public liability and employers' liability. We have considerable experience in handling sensitive and/or high profile claims, such as bullying, failure to educate and abuse, and are equally skilled in handling the media attention that these cases sometimes attract. Our specialist practitioners act exclusively for the police service, representing a diverse range of forces across England and Wales. As the largest dedicated police legal team in the country our lawyers have been involved in some of the most high profile and significant cases involving the police service over the last 15 years.
We are currently recruiting for a Principal Associate, 5 YR plus PQE to join our Casualty team in Leicester.
To advise, prepare and present cases in court including Sexual Harm Prevention Order, Sexual Risk Orders, Anti-Social Behaviour injunctions, closure orders, Domestic Violence Protection Orders, and Stalking Protection Orders.
To effectively manage a large caseload of non-litigated and litigated police claims and to provide support in the form of assisting in the preparation of witness statements, preparing witnesses for trial, attending conferences with counsel and attending trial.
You will be responsible for the running of the day to day of your cases including liaising with clients, opponents, court, witnesses and undertaking your own liability investigations. We have a specialist team to undertake intelligence searches and any required counter fraud enquiries beyond any client’s own handling preference.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Manage a caseload of non-litigated and litigated claims including but not limited to property damage, false imprisonment, malicious prosecution, assault, employers liability and motor claims
- Present cases in the Magistrates court
- Represent police forces and advocate in disclosure applications to the Family court
- Provide face to face training to groups of police officers
- Assist the TM and other team members with their cases, client development, client training, networking and potentially public speaking where required
- Liaise with various parties such as other solicitors, insurers, experts, counsel and clients
- Control Case Manager diary and action lists
- Attend at court hearings as appropriate
- Draft various documents such as letters and reports
- Satisfy standards of client care in accordance with guidelines and directions
- Complete Client MI procedures
- Achieve set financial and chargeable targets
- Comply with relevant rules, policies and procedures
- Keep up to date with legal developments
- Work in accordance with Weightmans’ values
You may also be required to carry out tasks that fall within the wider remit of the role.
This list is not intended to be exhaustive and you will be expected to perform other duties and have other responsibilities that fall within the wider remit of the role.
- For the NQ role 5 YR plus PQE is essential
- Preferably experience of defending litigated claims but candidates who have Claimant litigation experience will also considered
- Willingness to present cases in the magistrates court
- Excellent knowledge of the CPR and litigation
- Ability to influence a broad range of people including key decision makers
- Excellent organisation skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent IT skills
- Ability to work to strict deadlines and targets
- Ability to work as part of a team or on own initiative
- Flexible approach to work and a willingness to travel
Why work for us
Weightmans is a Top 45 law firm with offices throughout the UK. Having been recognised as the leading legal employer at the annual Britain's Top Employers awards 2021 and achieved record rankings in Chambers UK.
The independent research showed "Weightmans provides exceptional employee conditions, nurtures and develops talent throughout all levels of the organisation."
We are truly committed to fostering a culture of equality and diversity, where everyone in the firm is respected and recognised on merit for the work that they do.
We strongly encourage applications from people of all ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations and disabilities. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustment at any stage of the application process.
Please feel free to note your preferred pronouns in your application.
Work for a firm where people matter – work for Weightmans.
As well as being immensely proud of the work we carry out for our clients and the culture we provide to our people we offer a wide range of benefits including;
- 28 days’ annual leave plus bank holidays (pro-rated for part time)
- Agile / working from home including provision of home office equipment*
- Healthcare cover/ Medicash
- Pension plan
- Life Insurance 4 x salary
- Interest free travel loan scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme including counselling, legal and consumer advice service
- Discounted gym membership
- Discounted dental scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Offers & discounts
- Great reward and recognition scheme
*There are a small number of roles that cannot be performed from home, your Recruitment Advisor can confirm.