Salary: £55 000-£65 000
LEGAL COUNSEL, MEDIA (RIGHTS IN)
EXCITING WORLDWIDE MEDIA PRODUCTION AND DISTRIBUTION GROUP
Our client is a global production company, specialising in the distribution of many exciting television programmes and formats.
We are looking for a media lawyer to support the business as they grow.
Spanning all aspects of international activities such as digital, sales, and content acquisition, the legal and business affairs team are also key partners in formats and financing. Whilst this full-time role has intended flexibility to enable support of all areas of business affairs, there would be particular focus on acquisitions and within that, non-scripted acquisitions. The non-scripted side of the business is growing exponentially due to global demand from broadcasters and digital platforms who want to develop co-productions with both group and third-party producers.
Reporting jointly to and working with two Senior Counsel responsible for non-scripted and scripted acquisitions, you would also broadly support the whole of the legal and business affairs team.
* Providing legal and commercial advice to Content team (leading on obtaining distribution rights for programmes and formats from third parties and producers.
* Drafting, negotiating and reviewing things such as:
* The development agreements for any non-scripted or scripted projects.
* Contractual terms of distribution agreements for finished formats and programmes (with a focus on programmes produced by group producers).
* Ad-hoc commercial agreements and letters (rights extensions / agreement amending).
* Gain a working understanding of UK public service broadcasters terms of trade, and how to advise internal stakeholders on those terms, and in turn applying that knowledge in any distribution agreement negotiations.
We welcome applications from either qualified lawyers (1-3PQE) and candidates qualified by experience, as well as Business Affairs Executives.
Previous experience in a business affairs role in the media industry (production or distribution is preferable) although candidates with a good understanding of contract and copyright law will be considered.
This is fantastic opportunity to join an amazingly creative production company with a very supportive and tight-knit workplace culture, with an excellent work-life balance on offer.