About your new role
Our national Large Loss team provides an expert, experienced legal service dealing with claims involving injuries of the utmost severity and complex technical insurance work. Weightmans’ Large Loss team handles claims reserved at over £350,000, representing over £800 million of client reserves. The claims are varied including Motor, employers’ liability, public liability and product liability. Typical cases involve brain, spinal and amputation injuries and also substantial dependency fatality claims.
We are currently recruiting for a Large Loss Lawyer 4 + YRS PQE to join our Large Loss team.
The successful candidate will manage own workload and assist partners and senior lawyers on complex and high value cases.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Assist the partners and manage own caseload of catastrophic and high value PI cases
- Assist in initial investigations and in reporting to clients/ preparing internal strategy report as appropriate
- Review and analyse databases and make further investigations as appropriate
- Liaise with other solicitors, insurers, police, HSE and witnesses to gather evidence
- Instruct various experts as appropriate
- Control Case Manager Diary and action lists
- Attend at court hearings as appropriate
- Attend conferences and JSMs as directed by partner, subject to client approval
- Draft letters, reports, reserve sheets and action plans as directed
- Assist with the management, supervision and development of more junior members of the team
- Complete client and firm MI procedures
- Comply with Data Protection Compliance and Procedures
- Comply with CPR and rehabilitation protocol
- Keep up to date with legal developments in high value personal injury
- Achieve set financial and chargeable targets/KPIs
- Ensure relevant deadlines and quality measures are adhered to
- Comply with relevant Weightmans and client policies and procedures
- Work in accordance with Weightmans’ values
This list is not intended to be exhaustive and you will be expected to perform other duties and have other responsibilities that fall within the wider remit of the role.
- Circa 4 years + PQE solicitor
- Experience of managing a defendant personal injury litigation caseload. Experience of high value Large Loss work is not strictly necessary but multitrack experience is required
- An eye for detail is essential
- The ability to work to deadlines/ targets and work under pressure.
- Ability to work as part of a team or on own initiative
- Knowledge of CPR procedures/technical ability
Why work for us
Weightmans is a Top 45 law firm with offices throughout the UK. Having been recognised as the leading legal employer at the annual Britain's Top Employers awards 2021 and achieved record rankings in Chambers UK.
The independent research showed "Weightmans provides exceptional employee conditions, nurtures and develops talent throughout all levels of the organisation."
We are truly committed to fostering a culture of equality and diversity, where everyone in the firm is respected and recognised on merit for the work that they do.
We strongly encourage applications from people of all ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations and disabilities. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustment at any stage of the application process.
Please feel free to note your preferred pronouns in your application.
Work for a firm where people matter – work for Weightmans.
As well as being immensely proud of the work we carry out for our clients and the culture we provide to our people we offer a wide range of benefits including;
- 28 days’ annual leave plus bank holidays (pro-rated for part time)
- Agile / working from home including provision of home office equipment*
- Healthcare cover/ Medicash
- Pension plan
- Life Insurance 4 x salary
- Interest free travel loan scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme including counselling, legal and consumer advice service
- Discounted gym membership
- Discounted dental scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Offers & discounts
- Great reward and recognition scheme
*there are a small number of roles that cannot be performed from home, your Recruitment Advisor can confirm.
- Any reference to experience or PQE in our adverts or job descriptions is to be used as a guideline only. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds and with different levels of experience who can demonstrate that they fulfil the requirements of the role.
- The successful candidate appointed to this role will be subject to our standard background checking process, and any offer of employment made is conditional upon successful completion of those checks. Further details can be obtained from the Recruitment team.
- We are open to part time/job share applicants.