Our Litigation team is experienced in handling all kinds of disputes. We act on behalf of large corporates, owner managed businesses, public bodies, insurers, regulatory bodies and private individuals. Members of all levels of qualification across the team regularly deal with complex, high profile and sensitive issues across a broad range of litigation with far reaching implications. The team and many within it are recognised in both Chambers and Legal 500.
The Litigation team undertakes a broad range of substantial, challenging work, largely of a contentious nature. You will be required to support the lead Partner and other supporting case handlers with their caseload of carriage of goods and broader marine work. This is a chance to work with an experienced Partner and team of supporting lawyers handling carriage of goods and broader marine disputes. The role will involve a wide variety of work led by an experienced Partner working with other supporting fee earners and independently where appropriate.
We are recruiting for a Litigation Solicitor 3YRS + PQE to manage own caseload, including proactive management of cases with limited supervision
Main duties and responsibilities
- Assisting the lead Partner and other supporting case handlers with their caseloads
- Preparing advices and reports to insurers as required
- Draft and perform legal research and investigations with particular emphasis on carriage of goods and broader marine issues
- Attend conferences, court and client meetings
- Communicate with clients, counsel and other parties
- Involvement in business development and profile raising initiatives as well as alignment to relevant segment/sector groups
- Complete client and internal MI procedures
- Achieve set financial and chargeable targets
- Ensure relevant deadlines, quality measures and KPIS are adhered to
- Comply with relevant policies and procedures
- Work in accordance with Weightmans’ values
This list is not intended to be exhaustive and you will be expected to perform other duties and have other responsibilities that fall within the wider remit of the role.
- Have at least 3 years’ PQE or equivalent with experience of carriage of goods issues essential and broader marine experience preferable
- Extensive litigation experience with proven technical ability and record of achievement
- Ability to work to deadlines / targets, to prioritise and manage a caseload and deliver effective solutions
- Ability to work well as part of a team and on your own initiative with a positive attitude
- A commercial, solution-driven and client-focused approach
- Strong legal and analytical skills with an eye for detail
- Excellent organisation and time-management skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Flexible approach and agile working
- Excellent IT skill
Why work for us
Weightmans is a Top 45 law firm with offices throughout the UK. Having been recognised as the leading legal employer at the annual Britain's Top Employers awards 2021 and achieved record rankings in Chambers UK.
The independent research showed "Weightmans provides exceptional employee conditions, nurtures and develops talent throughout all levels of the organisation."
We are truly committed to fostering a culture of equality and diversity, where everyone in the firm is respected and recognised on merit for the work that they do.
We strongly encourage applications from people of all ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations and disabilities. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustment at any stage of the application process.
Please feel free to note your preferred pronouns in your application.
Work for a firm where people matter – work for Weightmans.
As well as being immensely proud of the work we carry out for our clients and the culture we provide to our people we offer a wide range of benefits including;
- 28 days’ annual leave plus bank holidays (pro-rated for part time)
- Agile / working from home including provision of home office equipment*
- Healthcare cover/ Medicash
- Pension plan
- Life Insurance 4 x salary
- Interest free travel loan scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme including counselling, legal and consumer advice service
- Discounted gym membership
- Discounted dental scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Offers & discounts
- Great reward and recognition scheme
*there are a small number of roles that cannot be performed from home, your Recruitment Advisor can confirm.
- Any reference to experience or PQE in our adverts or job descriptions is to be used as a guideline only. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds and with different levels of experience who can demonstrate that they fulfil the requirements of the role.
- The successful candidate appointed to this role will be subject to our standard background checking process, and any offer of employment made is conditional upon successful completion of those checks. Further details can be obtained from the Recruitment team.
- We are open to part time/job share applicants.