Salary: £60 000 depending on experience
The Social Care & Governance Team provide a Service to Local Authority(s) to assume conduct of Litigation, Pre Litigation and Advice on their behalf. The type of work involved varies from Care Proceedings including PPM Meetings: Adult Services work: Mental Health Work and Education
We are currently recruiting for a Child Care Advocate up to 10YRS PQE to join our Social Care & Governance team in Liverpool, Leeds or Manchester
The successful candidate would work as In-house Advocate of Child Care cases on behalf of Local Authority clients with Paralegal and Legal Admin Support
They should be a willing Team Member with an ability to support other colleagues as work demands
Main duties and responsibilities
- To provide In-House Advocacy Service to Team in respect of Child Care cases, providing advice and representation to clients
- Conduct legal proceedings before the courts and tribunals, including advocacy
- Attend off-site visits and meetings, such as Court Hearings, clients’ offices etc
- Assist other members of the team with their caseloads of childcare cases as time permits
- Assist the team and wider department with the development of the regulatory practice
- Carry out and attend marketing and business development activities and events
- Ensure relevant deadlines, quality measures and KPI are adhered to
- Comply with relevant policies and procedures
- Work in accordance with Weightmans’ values
This list is not intended to be exhaustive and you will be expected to perform other duties and have other responsibilities that fall within the wider remit of the role.
As an Advocate you will have experience of conducting advocacy a genuine and demonstrable interest in the above area of work. We are looking for you to have a flexible approach to the work you do and be able to adapt to different tasks. We also require you to have:
- Solicitor or associate, experienced in childcare law either in-house or in private practice
- Experience of conducting advocacy
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent time management and organisation skills
- Ability to multi-task and prioritise
- Ability to work to strict deadlines and targets
- Ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative
- Flexible approach
Why work for us
Weightmans is a Top 45 law firm with offices throughout the UK. Having been recognised as the leading legal employer at the annual Britain's Top Employers awards 2021 and achieved record rankings in Chambers UK.
The independent research showed "Weightmans provides exceptional employee conditions, nurtures and develops talent throughout all levels of the organisation."
We are truly committed to fostering a culture of equality and diversity, where everyone in the firm is respected and recognised on merit for the work that they do.
We strongly encourage applications from people of all ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations and disabilities. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustment at any stage of the application process.
Please feel free to note your preferred pronouns in your application.
Work for a firm where people matter – work for Weightmans.
As well as being immensely proud of the work we carry out for our clients and the culture we provide to our people we offer a wide range of benefits including;
- 28 days’ annual leave plus bank holidays (pro-rated for part time)
- Agile / working from home including provision of home office equipment*
- Healthcare cover/ Medicash
- Pension plan
- Life Insurance 4 x salary
- Interest free travel loan scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme including counselling, legal and consumer advice service
- Discounted gym membership
- Discounted dental scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Offers & discounts
- Great reward and recognition scheme
*there are a small number of roles that cannot be performed from home, your Recruitment Advisor can confirm.
- Any reference to experience or PQE in our adverts or job descriptions is to be used as a guideline only. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds and with different levels of experience who can demonstrate that they fulfil the requirements of the role.
- The successful candidate appointed to this role will be subject to our standard background checking process, and any offer of employment made is conditional upon successful completion of those checks. Further details can be obtained from the Recruitment team.
- We are open to part time/job share applicants.