Salary: £85 000 depending on experience
Our Litigation team is experienced in handling all kinds of commercial disputes. We act on behalf of large corporates, owner managed businesses, public bodies, insurers, professional practices, regulatory bodies and private individuals. Members of all levels of qualification across the team regularly deal with complex, high profile and sensitive issues across a broad range of litigation with far reaching implications. The team and many within it are recognised in both Chambers and Legal 500.
The Litigation team undertakes a broad range of substantial, challenging work, largely of a contentious nature. You will be required to support Partners and other case handlers with their caseloads of commercial disputes work.
This is an opportunity to join a well-established and experienced team handling a wide variety of work working with all levels of fee earner and independently where appropriate.
You will be provided with the opportunity to work on a wide variety of cases. You will be expected to:
- Manage your own caseload of Commercial Litigation cases
- Provide support to Partners and other team members with complex Commercial Litigation matters
- Achieve set financial and chargeable targets KPIs
- Ensure case management records are maintained
- Take an active role in business development initiatives including training and networking
- Assist other lawyers in the team with their work as required including supporting lead advisers and the supervision of more junior lawyers
- Train, supervise and develop junior team members
- Produce monthly and ad-hoc client MI reports
This list is not intended to be exhaustive and you will be expected to perform other duties and have other responsibilities that fall within the wider remit of the role. You will also ensure that you comply with the relevant Weightmans and client policies and procedures, and consistently work in accordance with our values.
You will be a qualified solicitor, 5-7 year PQE, and you will have experience of a broad spread of Commercial Litigation work including experience of high value and complex litigation matters. As the role is varied, we are looking for you to have a flexible approach to the work you do and be able to adapt to different tasks. We also require you to have/be:
- Strong drafting skills with experience of preparing pleadings, detailed advices, witness statements and other key litigation documents
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with colleagues, clients and counsel
- A high level of commercial awareness
- Interest in solicitors’ professional regulation desirable (but not essential)
- Conscientious, self-motivated, hardworking, responsive, with critical thinking abilities and excellent communication, organisation and analytical skills
- A methodical, organised approach
- Passionate about growth, generating work opportunities both internally and externally
- Passionate about operational excellence generating work opportunities through great service delivery and improving the client experience
- Ability to work to strict deadlines, tight timetables, targets and client protocols while maintaining high standards in terms of accuracy and quality
- Excellent attention to detail and concentration
- Excellent IT skills
- Ability to multi-task and prioritise
- Ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative
- Excellent collaborative and team working skills
Why work for us
Weightmans is a Top 45 law firm with offices throughout the UK. Having been recognised as the leading legal employer at the annual Britain's Top Employers awards 2021 and achieved record rankings in Chambers UK.
The independent research showed "Weightmans provides exceptional employee conditions, nurtures and develops talent throughout all levels of the organisation."
We are truly committed to fostering a culture of equality and diversity, where everyone in the firm is respected and recognised on merit for the work that they do.
We strongly encourage applications from people of all ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations and disabilities. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustment at any stage of the application process.
Please feel free to note your preferred pronouns in your application.
Work for a firm where people matter – work for Weightmans.
As well as being immensely proud of the work we carry out for our clients and the culture we provide to our people we offer a wide range of benefits including;
- 28 days’ annual leave plus bank holidays (pro-rated for part time)
- Agile / working from home including provision of home office equipment*
- Healthcare cover/ Medicash
- Pension plan
- Life Insurance 4 x salary
- Interest free travel loan scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme including counselling, legal and consumer advice service
- Discounted gym membership
- Discounted dental scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Offers & discounts
- Great reward and recognition scheme
*there are a small number of roles that cannot be performed from home, your Recruitment Advisor can confirm.
- Any reference to experience or PQE in our adverts or job descriptions is to be used as a guideline only. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds and with different levels of experience who can demonstrate that they fulfil the requirements of the role.
- The successful candidate appointed to this role will be subject to our standard background checking process, and any offer of employment made is conditional upon successful completion of those checks. Further details can be obtained from the Recruitment team.
- We are open to part time/job share applicants.
SALARY - UP TO £85,000 DEPENDING ON EXPERIENCE