Salary: Up to £82 000 depending on experience
About your new role
We are looking to recruit a Solicitor or Associate 3 to 6 YEARS PQE to support the Specialty team in London. The applicant will specialise in professional indemnity. The Specialty team undertakes a broad range of substantial, challenging, largely contentious work. This includes defending claims against a wide variety of professional service providers (including architects, engineers and financial advisors); insurance policy coverage; insurance and reinsurance disputes; and claims relating to construction, property damage, cyber and aviation
Main duties and responsibilities
- Assisting the partners and senior lawyers with their caseloads
- Proactive management of cases with supervision
- Preparing detailed and technical reports, correspondence and court documents
- Advising clients in relation to issues of liability and coverage
- Liaising with insurer and insured clients, experts, witnesses, counsel and other parties
- Ensuring compliance with client service level agreements, relevant policies and procedures
- Supporting business development initiatives
- Completion of management information
- Delegating to and developing trainees and paralegals
- Assisting with other work allocated by the Team Manager
- Working in accordance with Weightmans’ values
This list is only intended to be indicative of the types of activities which the successful candidate will be involved in.
- 3-6 years’ PQE or equivalent
- Experience of insurance litigation and policy coverage analysis is essential
- Experience of professional risk claims is essential
- Understanding of commercial insurance policies, the insurance market, reporting arrangements, reserving philosophies, and the relationship between brokers, underwriters/insurers and lawyers is essential
- Previous secondment to or employment with an insurance organisation would be advantageous
- Ability to work to deadlines / targets, to prioritise and manage a caseload and to work under pressure to deliver effective solutions
- Ability to work well as part of a team and on your own initiative
- A commercial, solution-driven and client-focused approach
- Strong legal and analytical skills and an eye for detail
- Excellent organisation and time-management skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with a positive attitude
- Excellent IT skills
- Excellent teamwork skills
Why work for us
Weightmans is a Top 45 law firm with offices throughout the UK. Having been recognised as the leading legal employer at the annual Britain's Top Employers awards 2021 and achieved record rankings in Chambers UK.
The independent research showed "Weightmans provides exceptional employee conditions, nurtures and develops talent throughout all levels of the organisation."
We are truly committed to fostering a culture of equality and diversity, where everyone in the firm is respected and recognised on merit for the work that they do.
We strongly encourage applications from people of all ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations and disabilities. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustment at any stage of the application process.
Please feel free to note your preferred pronouns in your application.
Work for a firm where people matter – work for Weightmans.
As well as being immensely proud of the work we carry out for our clients and the culture we provide to our people we offer a wide range of benefits including;
- 28 days’ annual leave plus bank holidays (pro-rated for part time)
- Agile / working from home including provision of home office equipment*
- Healthcare cover/ Medicash
- Pension plan
- Life Insurance 4 x salary
- Interest free travel loan scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme including counselling, legal and consumer advice service
- Discounted gym membership
- Discounted dental scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Offers & discounts
- Great reward and recognition scheme
*there are a small number of roles that cannot be performed from home, your Recruitment Advisor can confirm.
- Any reference to experience or PQE in our adverts or job descriptions is to be used as a guideline only. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds and with different levels of experience who can demonstrate that they fulfil the requirements of the role.
- The successful candidate appointed to this role will be subject to our standard background checking process, and any offer of employment made is conditional upon successful completion of those checks. Further details can be obtained from the Recruitment team.
- We are open to part time/job share applicants.