Our Litigation ROM team is experienced in handling different types of run-off insurance claims. Members of all levels of qualification across the team regularly deal with complex, high profile and sensitive issues across a broad range of Building Guarantee claims with far reaching implications.
The Litigation ROM team undertakes a broad range of substantial, challenging work, largely involving:
- investigating claims from policyholders;
- instigating technical investigations - instructing technical experts and liaising with the same in order to reach a policy response;
- formulating offers of settlement and considering strategies for indemnifying policyholders on large developments;
- considering potential subrogated and third-party claims .
You will be required to support Partners and other case handlers with their caseload. This is a chance to join a well-established, experienced and growing team handling a wide variety of work, working with all levels of fee earner and independently where appropriate.
You will manage your own caseload, including proactive management of claims with limited supervision.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Assisting the partners and other case handlers with their caseloads
- Draft and perform legal research, investigations, etc
- Attend conferences, court and client meetings
- Communicate with clients, counsel and other parties
- Involvement in business development and profile-raising initiatives as well as alignment to relevant segment/sector groups
- Complete client and internal MI procedures
- Achieve set financial and chargeable targets
- Ensure relevant deadlines, quality measures and KPIs are adhered to
- Comply with relevant policies and procedures
- Work in accordance with Weightmans’ values
This list is not intended to be exhaustive and you will be expected to perform other duties and have other responsibilities that fall within the wider remit of the role.
Ideally, you will have previous experience as a claims handler, a keen interest in developing your knowledge of construction and insurance law, as well as investigation and subrogated claims.
As the role is varied, we are looking for you to have a flexible approach to the work you do and be able to adapt to different tasks. We would also prefer you to have:
- 0-2 years PQE (or equivalent) experience
- Ability to work to deadlines / targets, to prioritise and manage a caseload and deliver effective solutions
- Ability to work well as part of a team and on your own initiative with a positive attitude
- A commercial, solution-driven and client-focused approach
- Strong legal and analytical skills with an eye for detail
- Excellent organisation and time-management skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Flexible approach and agile working
- Excellent IT skills
Why work for us
Weightmans is a Top 45 law firm with offices throughout the UK. Having been recognised as the leading legal employer at the annual Britain's Top Employers awards 2021 and achieved record rankings in Chambers UK.
The independent research showed "Weightmans provides exceptional employee conditions, nurtures and develops talent throughout all levels of the organisation."
We are truly committed to fostering a culture of equality and diversity, where everyone in the firm is respected and recognised on merit for the work that they do.
We strongly encourage applications from people of all ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations and disabilities. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustment at any stage of the application process.
Please feel free to note your preferred pronouns in your application.
Work for a firm where people matter – work for Weightmans.
As well as being immensely proud of the work we carry out for our clients and the culture we provide to our people we offer a wide range of benefits including;
- 28 days’ annual leave plus bank holidays (pro-rated for part time)
- Agile / working from home including provision of home office equipment*
- Healthcare cover/ Medicash
- Pension plan
- Life Insurance 4 x salary
- Interest free travel loan scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme including counselling, legal and consumer advice service
- Discounted gym membership
- Discounted dental scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Offers & discounts
- Great reward and recognition scheme
*there are a small number of roles that cannot be performed from home, your Recruitment Advisor can confirm.
- Any reference to experience or PQE in our adverts or job descriptions is to be used as a guideline only. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds and with different levels of experience who can demonstrate that they fulfil the requirements of the role.
- The successful candidate appointed to this role will be subject to our standard background checking process, and any offer of employment made is conditional upon successful completion of those checks. Further details can be obtained from the Recruitment team.
- We are open to part time/job share applicants.