Salary: Depending on role and experience offered
Our Healthcare team is a vibrant specialist department. We provide advice on all aspects of healthcare law, including clinical negligence, patient safety, consent to treatment, human rights, child law and mental health. The ethos of the team is to work hard for our clients so that we secure the right outcome for them. In so doing we improve our technical skills and enhance our ability to meet the clients’ needs as they evolve. The healthcare sector is fast moving and the challenge of working for our clients provides very interesting work. The successful candidate will be highly motivated to develop their own and our teams’ practices. We provide a supportive environment in which to work.
We are currently recruiting for an Associate 3-5 YRS PQE and a Principal Associate 5YRS + PQE to join our Healthcare team in Birmingham or Cardiff.
Main duties and responsibilities
Solicitor/Associate (or equivalent) to manage defendant clinical negligence claims.
Specialise in acting on behalf of NHS Litigation Authority and NHS Trusts, protecting their interests
• Manage a case load of litigated and pre-litigated clinical negligence cases
• Conduct relevant investigations in order to repudiate and/or conclude the claim
• Liaise with various parties such as claimants and their solicitors, clients, counsel, experts etc.
• Achieve financial and chargeable targets
• Demonstrate strong advocacy skills, and have the necessary flexibility to offer support in the handling of civil claims.
• Assist the Team Manager and other team members with their cases, client development, client training, networking and potentially public speaking where required
• Control Case Manager diary, key dates and action lists
• Draft various documents to include SLA reports and pleadings
• Perform billing duties
• Satisfy standards of client care in accordance with client SLA and Team manager guidelines and directions
• Complete Client MI procedures
• Comply with relevant rules, policies and procedures
• Keep up to date with legal developments
• Contribute to profile-raising and business development initiatives
This list is not intended to be exhaustive and you will be expected to perform other duties and have other responsibilities that fall within the wider remit of the role.
Ideally, you will have previous experience in defendant clinical negligence whether NHSR panel or private healthcare. We will consider a claimant clinical Negligence background depending on experience and PQE. As the role is varied, we are looking for you to have a flexible approach to the work you do and be able to adapt to different tasks. It would be preferable but not essential for you to have/be:
Associate must be a qualified Solicitor 3-5 years PQE
Principal Associate must be qualified Solicitor 5years + PQE have experience of business development and supervising a team.
- Experience of defending high value and complex litigated and pre lit clinical negligence claims, preferably involving experience of working for the NHS and/or private healthcare sector
- Demonstrable experience in the healthcare sector
- Excellent technical ability and knowledge of CPR
- Strong and effective communication skills
- Disciplined time management and organisational skills
- Capacity to rigorously investigate and analyse evidence
- Ability to multi-task and prioritise
- Ability to work to strict deadlines and targets
- Ability to adhere to client protocols
- Ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative
- Experience of training, supervising and developing junior team members
If you meet our criteria and think this is a job where you could bring enthusiasm and commitment, then we look forward to receiving your application.
Why work for us
Weightmans is a Top 40 law firm with offices throughout the UK. Having been recognised as the leading legal employer and 9th overall employer at the annual Britain's Top Employers awards 2022 and achieved record rankings in Chambers UK.
We are proud to be an accredited living wage employer.
The independent research showed "Weightmans provides exceptional employee conditions, nurtures and develops talent throughout all levels of the organisation."
We are truly committed to fostering a culture of equality and diversity, where everyone in the firm is respected and recognised on merit for the work that they do.
We strongly encourage applications from people of all ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations and disabilities. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustment at any stage of the application process.
Please feel free to note your preferred pronouns in your application.
Work for a firm where people matter – work for Weightmans.
As well as being immensely proud of the work we carry out for our clients and the culture we provide to our people we offer a wide range of benefits including;
- 28 days’ annual leave plus bank holidays (pro-rated for part time)
- Agile / working from home including provision of home office equipment*
- Healthcare cover/ Medicash
- Pension plan
- Life Insurance 4 x salary
- Interest free travel loan scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme including counselling, legal and consumer advice service
- Discounted gym membership
- Discounted dental scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Offers & discounts
- Great reward and recognition scheme
*there are a small number of roles that cannot be performed from home, your Recruitment Adviser can confirm.
- Any reference to experience or PQE in our adverts or job descriptions is to be used as a guideline only. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds and with different levels of experience who can demonstrate that they fulfil the requirements of the role.
- The successful candidate appointed to this role will be subject to our standard background checking process, and any offer of employment made is conditional upon successful completion of those checks. Further details can be obtained from the Recruitment team.
- We are open to part time/job share applicants.
Recruitment agencies (PSL /non-PSL)
Weightmans operates a strict 'preferred supplier list' (PSL) and is committed to working closely with the recruitment agencies that feature on that list. As such, Weightmans does not accept speculative or unsolicited CVs, profiles or any other introductions from both our PSL and non-PSL agencies. If a PSL or non-PSL agency chooses to submit a speculative or unsolicited CV, profile or introduction without instruction from a member of Weightmans’ recruitment team, we will reserve the right to treat the introduction as a gift and contact the candidate directly without accepting or entering into the agency’s terms nor being liable for a recruitment fee.
Eligibility to work in the UK
Eligibility to work in the UK will be verified in the final stages of the selection process. All candidates must either already have a right to work in the UK before commencing employment, or meet the Home office criteria for Visa sponsorship. Candidates who require sponsorship should evaluate the Home Office eligibility criteria for a Skilled Worker visa before applying.